Palazzo del Ben or dei Conti d’Arco – Rovereto
A renaissance style jewel, open for cultural initiatives
Behind Piazza Rosmini, the palazzo was originally the private residence of the Ben family
. In the sixteenth century it was expanded by the Counts d’Arco
and in the seventeenth century it was home to the Poor Clare sisters of San Carlo. It subsequently became property of the Municipality of Rovereto who in 1904 sold it to the Cassa di Risparmio di Trento e Rovereto (Trento and Rovereto Savings Bank). Today the palace is the elegant home of the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Trento e Rovereto
(Trento and Rovereto Savings Bank Foundation).
Part of the space is used for the offices of the Accademia Roveretana degli Agiati (Rovereto cultural association) and some is available to the community to host cultural initiatives for the public.
The fifteenth century building owes its present form to a restoration that took place in the early twentieth century by the architect Augusto Sezanne. Revealing the ancient frescoes
, exquisite ceilings and slender columns
, Sezanne transformed the building into a palazzo that traces the form and style of the Venetian Renaissance
Note the chimneys, the paintings representing the seasons and sometimes adorned with garlands, and pomegranates. On the staircase leading to the upper floors, admire the richly decorated coffered ceilings. Linger before the original fresco of the Madonna and Child on the facade facing towards Piazza Vannetti.
Part of the oldest and original nucleus of the palazzo is the lower three-arched portico
that provides a backdrop to the small piazza and frames the bronze and granite bust of Clementino Vannetti
, the work of sculptor Carlo Fait.
Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio Trento e Rovereto
Piazza Rosmini, 5
38068 Rovereto (TN)
tel. +39 0464 486430 - +39 0461 232050
fax +39 0461 firstname.lastname@example.org