Church of San Giovanni

The church is a fine example of baroque art

The first mention of this chapel in honor of St. John the Baptist dates back to 1200 and it was consecrated in 1240.

The extension of the original building was approved by the representative of the bishop G. A. Gallo on the 26th May, 1546.
In 1655 the church was completely demolished except for the steeple and sacristy.

It was reconstructed and completed in 1658. In 1720 the sculptor and architect Antonio Giuseppe Sartori (1714-1792) and the painter Gasparo Antonio Baroni Cavalcabò (1682-1759), designed another span for the church with the choir loft and the two side staircases, the double ceiling with the Paradisetto and the existing facade.

These works took place in the years 1754-1758. In 1990 the internal and external stuccos were also restored.

Info and map

Church of San Giovanni

Via Fedrigotti 38068 Borgo Sacco di Rovereto (TN)

Request info

Request info