Shrine of the Madonna of the Mount (or our Lady of Consolation)

The people’s church

The church, with its baroque-rococo facade, was built in 1603 by the archpriest of Lizzana, Mons. Alessio Tomasini at his own expense. Over the years it has been known as the church “of the Assumption”, “of the Annunciation”, “of the Comforter of the afflicted”, but the people have always called it “Madonna del Monte”, or “Madonna of the Mount” because of the hill on which it stands.

In the early years it was guarded by Hermits, up until 1787 when the church was desecrated. Closed by the authorities it reopened in March 1790 at the will of the people, who had maintained a special devotion to the shrine. The church was later acquired by Giovanni Battista de Tacchi: his tomb was erected close to the shrine by his family.

The church guards many ex-voti within and a valuable fresco depicting the Madonna with Child, work of an unknown artist.

Info and map

Shrine of the Madonna of the Mount (or our Lady of Consolation)

Via Madonna del Monte 38068 Rovereto (TN)

Request info

Request info