The church of Santa Maria Assunta
An important baroque monument in Trentino
Already recorded in the late twelfth century, the church was completely transformed in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries by the Lodron family.
The ancient gothic-romanesque building with three naves became a beautiful baroque church with one single nave.
The stupendous high altar is the work of the famous Benedetti brothers from Castione (1700). The other side altars are also of the Castionese school.
The frescoes, paintings and decorations within are the work of Costantini (1579), Gaspare Antonio Baroni (1679), Nicolò Dorigatti, Antoni Gresta, Giacomo Pellegrini and Cavenaghi.
To the northern side of the aisle is the Chapel of St. Rupert, a jewel of art requested by Paride Lodron for his tomb in 1629.
The project is by the architect Santino Solari from Como, who built the Cathedral of Salzburg, while the oils on copper are by the Florentine Arsenio Mascagni.
The Church can be visited by appointment.
Info and map
Museo Diocesano Tridentino - Sezione Villa Lagarina
Via Garibaldi, 10 38060 Villa Lagarina (TN)
T: +39 0464 490374 (canonica +39 0464 412072)
F: +39 0461 260133