The Crypt of San Giovanni

The oldest medieval church in Trentino

This church is the remains of the original, which the current building was built over in 1584-93.

The crypt (oldest elements dating from the tenth century) is of quadrangular layout with an apse.

It is divided into three square-columned naves with simple bell-shaped capitals from which the nimble cross vaults rise in tulip form.
The altar is also romanesque, in “capsa” form. Curiously, one of the columns is cylindrical with sculpted capitals.

Visible on the vault are the remains of medieval pictorial decoration (Evangelist), in the apse are romanesque frescoes attributed to Veronese artists of the late fourteenth century.

In the course of restoration in 1976 romanesque frescoes, a tunnel and other evidence of an ancient shrine were found.

Info and map

The Crypt of San Giovanni

Via Roma 38060 Brentonico (TN)

T: +39 0464 395122

    Request info

    Request info