Home of the Counts Lodron, the most important noble family in Vallagarina
The palazzo, in the center of Nogaredo just a short walk from the Town Hall, was the residence of one of the most important noble families in Vallagarina, the Counts Lodron.
A branch of the family moved to Salzburg and began a strong friendship with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: in fact the Austrian composer wrote the Lodronische Nachtmusik for the Countess Antonia Lodron, to whose children he gave piano lessons.
The most important member of the family was without a doubt Paride Lodron, Archbishop of Salzburg from 1619 to 1653. It was he who asked Santino Solari, the architect of the Salzburg cathedral, to enlarge the pre-existing building and erect within the chapel of San Carlo Borromeo, frescoed by Donato Mascagni.
A wide doorway overhung by the crest of the house (a red shield with a rampant lion) leads to the cherry garden and the palazzo, on three sides.
The main entrance to the palazzo is surmounted by a statue in limestone of an imperial official in armour (probably Nicolò, father of Paride). In the long central body is the Sala del Giudizio (Hall of Judgement), where witch trials took place between 1646 and 1717. Concerts, cultural exhibitions and weddings were also held in the halls of the main body.
One of the side wings is today home to the Relais Palazzo Lodron.
Info and map
Via conti Lodron
38060 Nogaredo (TN)