Bell of the Fallen
In Rovereto the field of peace in remembrance of the fallen soldiers of every war
Cast with the bronze of the cannons of all the nations participating in World War I, it is the largest bell in the world to sound at full peal. Every evening at dusk, it’s 100 tolls are a testimony of world peace.
Born from an idea of Don Antonio Rossaro, Rovereto’s Campana dei Caduti (Bell of the Fallen) was cast in Trento in 1924 with the bronze of the cannons of the participating nations of the First World War. Baptized with the name Maria Dolens, it was placed on the Malipiero tower of Castello di Rovereto. The Bell, recast in Verona in 1939 was returned to Rovereto exactly one year later. In 1960, following a serious and irreparable crack, , Maria Dolens was recast at the Capanni foundries in Castelnovo Né Monti (Reggio Emilia). The current bronze, blessed by Pope Paul VI, was placed on the Colle di Miravalle on November 4, 1965, from where it continues to tower over the entire city of Rovereto.
In the museum area you will find a permanent photographic exhibition and a short video about the history of the Campana dei Caduti. With an enjoyable stroll through the woods, from Colle di Miravalle you can reach Castel Dante Shrine, which holds the remains of 20,000 soldiers.
Info and map
Bell of the Fallen
Colle di Miravalle
38068 – Rovereto (TN)
T: +39 0464 434412
F: +39 0464 434084
From November to February, every day from 9.00 to 16.30.
From March to October, every day from 9.00 to 18.00.
From April to September, every day from 9.00 to 19.00
Night opening from 15 June to 15 September, every day from 21.00 to 22.00.
Last admission within 30 minutes before closing.
Closed: 1st January, 25th December.
- adults € 4,00
- for groups over 20 people € 3,00
- 6 to 18 years € 2,00
- Children under 6 free
- Ticket included in the Museum Pass