Nineteenth century factory of the ‘zigherane
The Manifattura Tabacchi dello Stato (State Tobacco Factory) made a decisive contribution to the economic development of Sacco (a village of Rovereto) and the entire Vallagarina. It was built in 1854 at the behest of the Austrian authorities: the plans were by the engineer Latzel from Vienna, who used the same designs to build the factory of Rovigno, in Istria.
The factory began its activity in mid-1854: towards the end of the century it employed over 1000 workers, predominantly women (known as zigherane). Their role in the history of Sacco and the entire Vallagarina was invaluable: it was they who fought for the establishment of the first company nursery in Trentino (opened in 1924) and self-taxed themselves to build a bridge over the river Leno (the ponte delle zigherane) to make the journey from home to work shorter and less torturous.
It is an imposing building, vaguely neoclassical, with a very high chimney. Over its 150 years of history it has been expanded with the addition of different halls and warehouses. In more recent times, as State Monopoly ended, the company was privatised, sold to the multinational BAT (British American Tobacco) and definitively closed in 2008.
Info and map
Piazza della Manifattura, 1
38068 Rovereto (TN)
T: +39 0464 443313
F: +39 0464 443312
Opening times: Open only for groups, guided tours on reservation.