Between the past and the future: the oldest palazzo in Ala
The palazzo dates back to the Venetian fifteenth century and bears witness to the vitality of that foreign class; the only people who could afford to build or enlarge their homes.
Situated in the ancient Via di Villanova, the seventeenth century palazzo has a simple and austere facade with a squared door and identical symmetrical windows.
In stark contrast to this severity is the facade of the inner courtyard where an ancient stone carved well from the year 500 dominates. In 1810 the leader of the south Tyrolean uprising, Andreas Hofer, stayed here inside these very walls before being executed by the French in Mantua.
The palazzo will become home to the Museo Provinciale del Tessuto (Provincial Textile Museum).
Info and map
38061 Ala (TN)