A traditional recipe of Terragnolo
Fanzelto is a typical product of Terragnolo, which obtained the Municipal denomination (De.Co.)
Fanzelto (or fanzeltem) was invented to compensate for the shortage of wheat and therefore of white flour; it is a poor dish prepared with buckwheat (“formentóm”).
You can taste it in Terragnolo, in Leno-Valley and also some restaurants in Vallagarina.
Ingredients (for 12 pieces)
• 350 gr. buckwheat
• 5 dl water
• 9 gr. salt
• pork lard (or extra virgin olive oil)
While stirring, incorporate slowly buckwheat, salt and water until the dough is soft and creamy. Place in a non-stick pan a little bit of pork lard (or extra virgin olive oil). Put on fire. When the lard or oil will be hot, pour the dough thanks to a ladle, thus obtaining “Fanzelto”, frying on both sides. Serve hot together with cheese and slices of lucanica –sausage (“mortadela”).
Did you like fanzelto of Terragnolo? Share it with a “like” on the Visitrovereto Facebook page! Post your delicious photos on the bulletin board with the hashtag #vallagarinafoodwine.
Which restaurants offer the typical “fanzelto” in Vallagarina?
- “Locanda delle Tre Chiavi” (original recipe)
- “Locanda D&D Maso Sasso” (proposes the “patanzelto”, a new version of the original recipe with potatoes and onions)
- “Il Doge” Restaurant (traditional recipe)
- “Valduga” Bar Restaurant
- “Christian” Restaurant Trattoria
- “Malga Borcola” Alpine cottage
- “Posta Vecchia” Restaurant