Sabbionara d’Avio Castle
The ancient and evocative Property of the FAI welcomes you to Trentino
Among the vineyards of Sabbionara d’Avio, the frescoes of the castle recount love, but also stories of war and episodes of battles.
The Avio castle is one of the Trentino’s most well-known, ancient and most-evocative fortified monument. From its location, along the slopes of Monte Vignola, the castle dominates the valley almost to Verona. Don’t miss the view of the imposing fortified tower, the massive walls and the five towers.
Most likely a military garrison during the Lombard era, it became the property of the Castelbarco family to then pass into the hands of the Venetians in 1441. Since 1977 the castle has been a Property of the FAI, which has realized an attentive work of restoration.
Upon entering, you will go through a tower door crowned by dove-tailed parapets. On the right, observe the massive shape of the tower which stands out from the eastern walls: it’s the “Picadora”, called that because, according to tradition, convicts were hanged on its terrace.
Inside, you will be enchanted by the splendid cycles of frescoes of the Veronese school: “La parata dei combattenti” (The Parade of Soldiers), on the walls of the “Casa delle Guardie” (Guard House), and “La stanza dell’amore” (The Room of Love), elegant decorations of a courtly taste in the tower.
The Avio Castle can be seen from afar. It is your first welcome to Trentino!
In order to access, it is necessary to comply with the Covid dispositions in respect with the currently in force law.
Info and map
Sabbionara d'Avio Castle
Via al Castello
38063 Avio (TN)
T: +39 0464 684453
F: +39 0464 684299
- for cars, 450 m from the castle
- for buses, in the town of Sabbionara, about 800 m from the castle.
The Castle is closed to the public during the winter period and will reopen on 24 February.
For up-to-date visit information and to find out about special openings or closures for holidays or special events, see the online booking page.
Admission to the Castle with free visit:
- Full ticket € 8,00
- Reduced ticket € 4 (children within 6-18 years)
- Students up to 25 years old € 6
- Free for FAI members, children within 5 years, Museum Pass and Trentino Guest Card owners, National Trust members, Bienfaiteurs Amis du Louvre members, Avio Municipality residents, people with disabilities and their carers
- Families € 21 (2 adults + 2 or more children within 6 and 18 years)
Admission to the Castle with guided tour:
- Full: € 13
- Reduced price (6-18 years): € 7
- Children up to 5 years old: free
- Students up to 25 years old: € 9
- FAI members, Trentino Guest Card and Museum Pass holders: € 5
- INTO members – The International National Trusts Organization, Mécènes members and Bienfaiteurs Amis du Louvre members, residents of the Municipality of Avio, disabled people and accompanying person: € 5
- Family: 2 adults and children (6/18 years old) € 35
Prices can change due to special events.