Italian War History Museum
The memory of the Great War and of modern conflicts
The Italian War History Museum, founded in 1921, is located in the Castle of Rovereto. It boasts extensive documentation dealing not just with the military aspects, but also the cultural and social aspects of the First World War.
The exhibition area, recently renovated, is dedicated to the fighting methods and the equipment of soldiers from the nineteenth century to the First World War.
In the showcases you will find a rich collection of objects and photographs, material relating to trench warfare, flyers, posters and testimonies of the experiences of combatants and civilians.
In the castle towers you can see the collection of modern weapons (XVI-XVIII) and a collection of weapons and instruments from Prehistory to Medieval times.
The Museum of War hosts temporary exhibits dedicated to the memory of the Great War and of modern conflicts, educational activities for families and schools. Moreover, it also promotes study and research, oversees the publication of works which are historical and documentary in nature, participates in film-making.
In the past, the castle of Rovereto was home to Maria Dolens, the renowned Campana dei Caduti (memorial bell), now located in Colle di Miravalle. In its halls you can see the original chalk model.
Admission to the museum is included in the Trento Rovereto card.
Info and map
Via Castelbarco, 7
38068 – Rovereto (TN)
T: +39 0464 438100
F: +39 0464 423410
Opening hours: January – december: Tuesday – Sunday. 10 am – 6 pm. July – September: Saturday.-Sunday. 10 am – 7 pm
Closed: Mondays (except on holidays), 24., 25., 31. December and 1. January; Easter and Easter Monday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- adults € 7,00 (from 18 years)
- € 5,00: Groups – price pro person for groups with minimum 20 paying adults
- € 2,00: children from 6 to 17 years and school classes
- € 5,50: visitors which exhibit one of these cards: ANMIL, FAI, ARCI del Trentino, ACLI Trentine, ACI di Trento, Associazione Lagarina Storia Antica, Circolo Ricreativo Comune Rovereto, CGIL del Trentino, Touring Club Italiano, FederCircoli del Trentino, FIAF, UCT, Ostello di Rovereto, Rete dei Musei Grande Guerra in Trentino (the brochure with one stamp of another museum)
- Free: children until 5 years, disabled people and his helper, visitors with Guest Card Trentino, teachers which accompany the classes – 2 for each class-, one group leader for each group, Journalists
- Family price: for each parent who pays the whole price, free one child until 14 years
- The ticket is included in the Trento Rovereto card that costs € 20,00
- On request educational activities and guided visits (for groups min. 15 persons and max. 25 persons). Price: € 5.00 pro person and € 60.00 pro group for the guide. Necessary booking at least one week before at tel. +39 0464 488041