Classic “canederli” with speck
A recipe of the Osteria del Pettirosso restaurant
The “canederli” was once considered as the poor dish of the peasant culinary tradition, a clever way to reuse kitchen leftovers. Today it is known as one of the most delicious Trentino recipes.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 500 g of stale bread
- 1/2 l of milk
- 2 eggs
- 50 g of Trentingrana
- 100 g of speck
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 g of chives
- Cut the stale bread into very small cubes
- Aside, heat the milk without boiling it and then pour it on the bread
- Mix the dough well so that the bread gets evenly wet and let it rest
- Then add the other ingredients starting with the eggs, the diced speck, salt, pepper and Trentingrana
- Prepare a test “canederli” to test its consistency. If it is too soft, add a little flour to the dough, if it is too hard, add a little milk instead
- Cook the “canederli” for about a quarter of an hour in boiling salted water or broth
- They can be served in a dry version with melted butter and chives or with their cooking broth and a sprinkling of Trentingrana.
Did you like the “canederli” from the Osteria del Pettirosso? Say it with a like on the Visitrovereto Facebook page! Post your delicious photos on the bulletin board with the hashtag #VallagarinaFoodandWine!